West Berkshire Council granted an Injunction for unauthorised development at Lawrences Lane, Thatcham
On Wednesday evening (18 August) West Berkshire District Council was granted an Injunction to prevent further unauthorised development activity taking place at Lawrences Lane in Thatcham ("the Land"), pending a full hearing due to take place on 31 August.
Issued: 20 Aug 2021
An urgent, out of hours, hearing took place before Mrs Justice Stacey in the High Court of Justice, Queen's Bench Division, following which the Injunction was granted, in particular prohibiting the residential occupation of the Land. Copies of the Court Order were served on the various Defendants late on Wednesday evening and yesterday (Thursday 19 August) by Council officers, plus a copy has been posted on the Land.
The Injunction prohibits the Defendants and any other person from using the Land or carrying out any work on the Land that breaches planning control. In addition the Defendants must not:
- Bring onto the Land any additional caravans and/or mobile homes for the purpose of human habitation or residential occupation or any other purpose in breach of planning control;
- Take up permanent residential occupation of the 7 touring caravans on the Land;
- Bring onto the Land any portable structures including portable toilets and any other items and paraphernalia for purposes associated with human habitation or residential occupation or any other purpose in breach of planning control;
- Bring onto the Land any further waste materials and/or hardcore and/or like materials for any purpose, including the creation/laying of hardstandings or hard surfaces, in association with the use of Land for the stationing of further caravans and/or mobile homes for the purpose of human habitation or residential occupation or any other purpose in breach of planning control;
- Carry out any further works in relation to the formation of paths, roadways or any works including the provision of sewerage, water and electricity infrastructure associated with the use of caravans and/or mobile homes for the purpose of human habitation or residential occupation or any other purpose in breach of planning control;
- Carry out any further works to the Land associated with or in preparation for its use for stationing caravans and/or mobile homes for human habitation or residential occupation or any other purpose in breach of planning control;
- Undertake any further development on the Land as defined in section 55 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 without the express grant of planning permission.
Cllr Richard Somner, Executive Member for Planning, Transport and Countryside at West Berkshire Council, said:
"Following on from the temporary stop notice that was issued on Tuesday, this is the next important step in the process to ensure that our planning policies and procedures are conformed to by those seeking to avoid them.
"I want to pay a huge tribute to officers in our legal and planning teams, and to external solicitors and counsel, for the enormous amount of work that went in to getting the application before the court so urgently."
If you have information that you would like to tell us anonymously about any activity taking place at Lawrences Lane, the first point of call is to please email this information to: Planningenforcement@westberks.gov.uk with as much information as you can. This inbox will be monitored over the weekend.
To report Anti-Social Behaviour: Thames Valley Police. Use the non-emergency 101 number for situations that do not require an immediate police response or use their online form: https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/
Only call 999 in an emergency if a crime is taking place or there is immediate danger.
Noise: Environmental Health at Public Protection Partnership on: 01635 503242 or email: email@example.com
If you need to speak to us, please contact our Building Communities Together Team on: 07881 856801 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org